Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Just Want to Blog About...

Ever since stumbling upon Crazy Aunt Purl I have harbored the secret ambition to be a serial blogger. I laughed, I cried and I walked away feeling like maybe I wasn't the only "crazy" person out there. But as I am neither a newly divorced cat-lover nor particularly funny or clever, I couldn't imagine what I had to offer that would want to make people read my blog. Until I received a phone call from my friend, Jen.

Me: Hello?

Jen: Tifany?

Me: Yes?

Jen: Oh my gawd, I just had to call you!

Me: What? What's the matter? Are you okay?

Jen: Yes! I had a Tifany-moment today?

Me: A what?

Jen: A Tifany-moment.

Me: That's not like a senior-moment is it?

Jen: No, no, no! I was at this cute little store at The Factory and the dress I had been eye-ing for that upcoming benefit was an additional 30% off the sale price and then I went to Dillard's and found shoes that matched and they were 75% off!

Just so you know, I was hoping she might say something like "My house is completely clean, laundry is done, dinner's ready, my child has been polite and helpful ALL DAY LONG and I took a shower, did my hair and put make-up on!" as the source of her Tifany-moment, but alas, since Jen is my friend (she's lived next door for the last 5 years) and knows me all too well, the source of her excitement was that she had found an amazing bargain.

Then, just a couple days later I was talking to some of the neighbors while the kids were playing and one of them said, "Today I found the cutest Gymboree dress at Goodwill, NEW with the tags still on it and it was only $2.49! I totally felt like Tifany." And while admittedly jealous that I hadn't found the dress myself when I had visited there earlier that day, I was surprised she had attributed that feeling of "SCORE!" to me.

When I sat down and thought about it, I realized that in the past few years I really have made a name for myself among my friends with the bargains I have found during my savvy shopping adventures. From Prada shoes to seagrass home accessories, from a Kitchenaid mixer to a dining room table, I've done my best to make our household budget stretch without sacrificing style or quality.


I'm sure I am not the only one that has champagne tastes on a beer budget BUT I have one thing that many of you might not have. I have 5 great thrift stores within 10 miles of my home, and boy, do I have some stories for you!

But first, let me preface this all with why I've named this blog
Savvy Suburban Supermom. Besides the fact that I do live in suburbia and have been known to wear a red and blue spandex Superman...uh, Supermom costume from time to time I have come to realize that what some may think is bottom-of-the-barrel shopping can really be considered savvy if you do it right.

I mean, really, if you go out to a formal event and wear a pair of Prada shoes that you found for $5.99 how can that be anything BUT savvy shopping? Or, is the stigma of thrift store shopping so bad that it's better to wear a brand new $20 pair of Payless Shoes? Don't get me wrong 'cause I have bought Payless Shoes before but I've got to tell you, my Prada's rock!




I'm not a fashionista, I'm not a socialite, I'm just your average, middle-class stay at home mom with two kids who lives in suburbia who happens to like quality. I also like purses. I like nice clothes. I like decorating my home. I like cooking. I like being creative and I'm not afraid of a little work to get what I want.

What I DO NOT LIKE is sacrificing my household budget or my kid's college education on those things, but I don't think you have to.

So if you have the time and inclination, I'll share the secrets and scores as well as a few stories about my life as a Savvy Supermom.

And no, you don't have wear a blue and red spandex suit. I sure don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment